LAHORE, MAY 16, 2014: Closings costs, pre-approved mortgages, interest rates. Just the terminology of house hunting is enough to send experienced buyers into a spin.
Global real estate platform Lamudi.pk today released a fun, practical guide to help take the stress out of property hunting. Lamudi’s 10 real estate commandments are designed to guide both first-time buyers and those returning to the market.
Buying a home will undoubtedly be one of the biggest purchases you will ever make. The last thing you want is to end up with buyer’s remorse.
There are a few simple steps that we find our customers often forget, like the importance of getting an expert opinion or having pre-approval for a mortgage. Keep these in mind and the house-hunting process will be significantly less stressful.
Lamudi’s 10 commandments for homebuyers are:
1. Know the market. Do your research and know what else is out there. Never rush into a purchase without being fully informed – and never buy the first home you inspect.
2. Save, save and save some more. Make sure you have a financial buffer in case circumstances change or you get hit with unexpected fees. Plus the higher your deposit, the lower your repayments.
3. Borrow within your means. Stick to your budget. Never agree to spend more than 30 per cent of your monthly income on housing costs.
4. Get pre-approved for a loan. This will help you speed up the purchasing process while staying within your financial limits. Go into the negotiations with your finances sorted – and more bargaining power.
5. Buy with the future in mind. Make sure the area has everything you need for your future needs. Are there good schools, hospitals and shops nearby?
6. Remember: everything is negotiable. First-time buyers often do not realise that everything in the contract – not just the price and closing date – is up for negotiation.
7. Know what you’re looking for. Make sure you are well prepared for the inspection: take photos, jot down notes and make a shortlist of your favourite properties.
8. Pay extra for an expert opinion. In the long run, a property and pest inspection can save you both time and money, while hiring a lawyer can streamline the entire process.
9. Avoid doing anything that could affect your credit. Hold off on changing jobs, switching bank accounts or making any other large purchases until the property is in your name.
10. Read everything before you sign. Even with a lawyer and real estate agent to guide you, make sure you’ve read all documents thoroughly. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or challenge a point if you do not agree.
Lamudi was founded in 2013 and is currently available in 22 countries across Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America. The leading real estate marketplace offers sellers, buyers, landlords and renters a secure and easy-to-use platform to find or list properties online. For more information, please visit Lamudi.Com