By General Mirza Aslam Beg
Change follows the corrective measure, to maintain balance in the human society, as per Divine Injunction:
“If Allah were not to check one set of people by means of another, there would surely have been pulled down monasteries, churches, synagogues and mosques, in which the name of Allah is commemorated in abundant measures” (Al-Qoran: Ch 22)
Allah loves the human kind and cannot condone brutality and oppression by on over the other, and ordains that all people of all religions, faith and believe find peace and truth based on social justice and love for His creation. In our living memory there are two such examples of the Divine interventions, to check the oppressors of the humanity:
Hitler, drunk with power and suffering from ‘Superiority Complex of the German race, disturbed world peace, causing colossal death and destruction, but his brute power was checked and destroyed by a ‘Coalition of Nations’, within a period of fifteen years. In the process, it also weakened the power of the British and European imperialism. Thus the weak and the oppressed gained freedom, with Muslims being in the majority. And the vacuum of power so created by Second World War, was filled by the United States of America, who entered the centre stage of world politics, with the promise of social justice, free trade and democracy. But unfortunately power corrupted them and their noble intentions, turned into obsessions for ‘global primacy and pre-eminence.’ Thus more than seven hundred military bases were established around the world, while the United Nations and its financial institutions were brought under control, as the instruments of economic power, to be used against the intransigent countries imposing sanctions and embargoes, with devastating results. Thus the American imperialism replaced the British and European imperialism, and once again the Middle East and Central Asian region became the testing ground for the projection of American power and influence. The Soviets, moved into Afghanistan to contain the expanding American threat. The Americans mobilized the Jehadis ‘from seventy countries of the world’ and succeeded in pushing the Soviets out of Afghanistan, but in the process, the ‘Global Islamic Resistance’ grew in strength against the occupation of Muslims lands.
The Soviet defeat, gave a new impetus to American ambitions of global hegemony and the 9/11 incident provided the excuse to attack and occupy Afghanistan and Iraq. The Global Islamic Resistance, once again mobilized itself to contain, curb and defeat the combined forces of aggression in Afghanistan and Iraq, within a period of ten years. Hitler was defeated within a period of fifteen years. And as the American power has declined, the oppressed nations, suffering under the American supported dictatorial rulers, are in revolt, demanding freedom, social justice and democracy. Thus balance is being established through the Divine Intervention.
The American power, no doubt, is in decline, but is strong enough to play a major role, at this point of time and stands at the threshold, to deliver freedom to the struggling nations in revolt. The Untied States is not alone, at the giving end because there are other ‘Centers of Power’ that also have the responsibility, such as China, Europe, Russia and Japan, to participate in this act of deliverance, than to become a party to the crime.
The dynamics of change must be understood. The nations in revolt have their problems but their ultimate objective remains the same. The revolutions taking place in the Middle East are ‘shifting the global economic balance, which ultimately will be settled in the Kingdoms of Oil of the region.’ The main causes which have led to this massive revolutionary surge are:
- Support for the dictorial regimes, which continued to suppress peoples’ voice, causing economic strangulation and deep sense of deprivation;
- The declining American power and prestige, as a result of the defeat suffered in Afghanistan and Iraq and the humiliation of Israel at the hands of Hezbollah, encouraged the weak and the oppressed to challenge the American power in retreat;
- It is the cyber generation which leads, gaining new consciousness from the Face Book, Twitter and You Tube facilities, brought to their door-steps, by the media – a phenomenon never experienced before;
- The unfounded fear of the radical Islam and the unbridled employment of instruments of power to contain and curb the so-called menace of Islamic extremism, helped to release the pent-up feelings of denial and deprivation of the broad masses into revolt, trying ‘to catch-up with history’ which has left them behind, and convey the message that, the Americans and their allies have stood ‘on the wrong side of history’ and need to correct the course.
- The Global Islamic Resistance is not a permanent phenomenon. Its mission and purpose is specific to occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq. Once occupation is vacated, the Islamic Resistance will melt away into the ‘vastness of the seventy countries of the world’, it comes from. Yet, some odd 150-200 misguided men of Al-Qaeda, will keep the world powers busy, chasing them around the world.
Each revolution is different from the other, yet there is a great deal of commonality between them:
- These are led mainly by the cyber generation, who do not have strong leadership nor a strong political platform.
- Their struggle is not about Israel, Islam, or the West. It is for freedom, social justice and democracy.
- They want to change the faces of the rentier states, and are calling for the real representatives of the people as their new rulers.
The responsible approach for America and the allies, therefore, would be, to recognize the failed policies of the past, which alienated Arab public opinion and disturbed the peace of the world. In fact, there is a need for ‘a radical change of values to question, the fairness of past values.’